Friday, October 24, 2008

Baby Scout's story



I was scheduled to be induced on Tuesday and was told to come in at 6 AM.  We got there a little after 6 and got checked in and settled into our home for the next little while.  They didn't end up starting the pitocin until about 8:30, but when they finally did, I was ready to get the show on the road.  A couple hours later, even though the contractions weren't too super painful yet, I decided I was ready for the good stuff.  I got the epidural and was feeling good, other than I was starting to get pretty hungry and having heart burn.  The last thing a pregnant lady wants is to be told all she can eat is ice chips!  But I guess it's just one of those things.  It was a long day, and I wasn't progressing very fast so they came in and broke my water about 2:30.  I thought that would speed things up for sure, so I was pretty discouraged when they came in 2 hours later to check me and I was told I was still only 3 cm!  The nurse thought the baby was possibly positioned funny, and maybe that's why I was dilating.  She came in with a folded up sheet and asked if she could try one of her "crazy midwife" tactics to try and get the baby to re-position.  I told her to go for it.  She put the sheet under my back so that it was still sticking out on both sides and lifted the sheet up and down so that I was like bouncing around.  She did that on each side, then got up on the bed with one foot on each side of me and grabbed both ends of the sheet and bounced me up and down some more!  It was pretty funny.  I'm sure it was even funnier to actually see it being done.  My mom was taking pictures cuz she thought it was pretty funny looking.  About an hour and a half later, around 6 PM, she came in to check me and I was no longer 3 cm, I was 4!  Not really encouraging, but I guess it was progress right?  Since my pitocin was up as high as they usually allow it, they didn't want to turn it up unless they could see that the contractions weren't strong enough.  She decided to put an internal monitor to measure how strong the contractions were.  When she did this I had already made it from a 4 to a 5 and she said she thought it was a turning point.  Finally, some good news.  I was pretty starving at this point, but I guess if that was the most of my worries, I shouldn't complain.  Even though I had an epidural, I could still feel the contractions slightly and could move my legs a little.  When I had Maxon, I couldn't even wiggle my toes, so I was a little worried about that.  I thought that the contractions started to get stronger over the next hour or so, so I was anxious to see if anything had changed when they came back in to check me.  My mom decided to go grab something to eat and told me she better return to find me ready to have a baby.  They came in to check me about 7:30 and to my surprise, said the baby was right there and it was go time!  Yay!  They got me all ready and it was about that time that my mom got back to find me ready to have a baby!  2 pushes later, little Scout was born at 7:53 PM!  She had somehow managed to tie the umbilical cord in like 3 knots and the midwife that delivered her and the other nurses in the room were all pretty amazed.  They said they'd never seen anything like that.  I did get pictures of the knots she tied but am debating on posting cuz I didn't know if it would gross anyone out.  Scout weighed 6 lbs 8 oz and was 19.5 inches long.  Quite a bit smaller than Maxon was.  She seemed like the smallest thing I'd ever seen.  She has the tiniest little head, and it is so dang cute.  She looks a lot like her brother.  There are a few pictures of her that look so much like the pictures taken of him right after he was born.
Just minutes after Scout was born.



Meeting daddy



Metting mommy


After getting to know Scout for a little bit, Trent ran to Cafe Rio and got me a salad, which I inhaled!  It was the tastiest salad I've ever eaten.  Since it was so late, Maxon was already to bed at Uncle Jeremy and Aunt Heather's house, so he didn't get to meet Scout until the next day.

Maxon wasn't really interested in Scout when he came to see us in the hospital.  And he definitely wasn't interested in me.  When he first got there he was just looking me up and down trying to figure out what was going on and when I tried to get him to come to me he just clung to grandma and wouldn't even come see me :(  It broke my heart a little.  After a few minutes he warmed up and would finally come see me, but he still didn't really want anything to do with Scout.

We got to come home Thursday morning.  When I got home and picked up Maxon, suddenly he was huge!  My little boy is not a baby anymore I guess.  He was more interested in the baby when we brought her home.  He likes to touch her and pat her and is really cute with her.  I was worried about how he'd react but so far he has been very sweet and hasn't shown any resentment.  He brings me her blanket if it's not wrapped around her or her little hat from the hospital and tries to put it on her head.  He even tried to feed her some of his nilla wafers yesterday.  I can't believe I'm a mother of 2!  My mom has been here all week helping out and I honestly don't know what I would have done without her.  Heather also helped with Maxon and I so so appreciate it.  I'll get some more pictures posted soon! 

8 comments:

Jenn said...

Congratulations on little Scout! She is beautiful. I can hardly wait for our new one to arrive 8 weeks from today. We hope that all continues to go well.
Jenn Crandall

Leslie Redd said...

Congrats Noelle. I still can't believe you are a mommy of two. They are so cute, and I agree, I think scout looks quite a bit like maxon at this point. Hope all is going well and if there is anything at all I can do let me know. I am sure you have lots of help with moms, dads, sisters, etc. Can't wait for more pictures. =)

Brittany said...

Yeah, congratulations!! She's finally here and cuter than ever! I love the name too, so cute! Way to go, mommy of 2!:)

Inouyes said...

Congratulations she is adorable!

Cambria, Ryan, Taeg, Tripp and Brigg said...

that sheet thing is way funny!! what a cute little baby noelle, she does look a lot like maxon but femanine. I love reading birth stories! Congratulations, I can't wait to meet her!!!

Tillia said...

Hi I just found your blog, congrats on the new sweetie, she is adorable. Glad everything went well, it will be me next-YEA!!!

JEN MARX said...

She is so precious! Sounds like you had a long day, but so worth it! Congrats!

Annalee said...

Congrats guys! We are so happy for you! She is adorable! Cute bedrooms too:)

Love,
The Dimonds

**