Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My grams



Grandma Clessa Black, age 94, left us on February 7, 2011. Grandma was the 6th of 11 children to William Zemira and Rebecca Stevens Palmer. She was born in Bluewater, NM as the family was enroute from the colonies in northern Mexico to Utah. Her family arrived in Grayson (now Blanding) in June, 1917 following a 5 year journey following their expulsion from Mexico in 1912 during the Mexican Revolution. Grandma was raised in Blanding. Her family homesteaded and farmed land in Long Canyon. She married DeAlton Lyman in the Manti LDS Temple in March 1935. They had 5 children, Gordon, Maureen, Mark, Loyd and Jed. My grandpa died in 1950 when my dad was not even 1 year old. In 1952 grandma married Anthon Black, who had recently lost his wife. He brought 3 children into the marriage, Neal, Sharlet and Nicholas, who my grandma raised as her own. Grandma and Grandpa Black had 2 children, Jeff and Duane. Grandma was a lifelong member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints and served in many positions during her lifetime. She often opened her home to people in need of care. Long before there was an official women's shelter in the community grandma opened her home to many women and children in need of temporary care. She and Anthon operated the flour mill in Blanding until it burned in 1955. They then purchased and operated the flour mill in Monticello and delivered flour and feed to trading posts on the Navajo reservation. Grandma lived a long, good life of service to her family and community. She raised a large garden every year up to her death. She was an accomplished seamstress and cook. She is preceded in death by her husbands DeAlton Lyman and Anthon Black, and 3 children, Nick, Loyd and Maureen. Grandma perfected the formula for a happy and productive life: hard work, lots of good food, unconditional love and the ability to laugh and cry with others.


I know I have mentioned many times just how amazing my grandma is, but it can't be said enough. I always knew my grandma had more than her fair share of trials in life, but I don't think I knew even half of it until I listened to stories of her life at her funeral. With 5 little children (my dad just 3 months old), my grandpa died, leaving her with almost nothing. She worked hard sewing and doing whatever she could to support them. She always said she was grateful she wasn't left with much and had to work so hard because it gave her no time to pity herself. I can't even imagine having that attitude.
She lost her fourth son, Lloyd, when he was 16 in a car accident. She later said that she had dreams long before this incident where she would see the little red pickup in an accident. She never saw who was in the accident in the dreams but the day that Lloyd drove away in the pickup she had a strange feeling that she might not see him again. She said that this always gave her comfort to know that it was not an accident but part of the plan.
One of my favorite stories told at the funeral was told by my Uncle Mark. My grandma was ALWAYS cooking and baking food to take to others. She would call my dad or one of my uncles to come over and take the "delivery". Recently she had asked Uncle Mark to come over to deliver some food to someone, and when he showed up she said, I'm sorry but I wasn't paying attention and burned the food. She liked to listen to music while she was cooking away in the kitchen and said that day she had been listening to a waltz. She always said how good of a dancer my grandpa Lyman was and said she got thinking about before he had passed away and they would dance together and was imagining them dancing around the kitchen. My grandpa passed away over 60 years ago and I can only imagine that reunion. Recently she has been having dreams about him. She would talk about the dreams and how she was worried about when she died and got to see him again because he was always so young and handsome and now she was all old and wrinkly. I thought that was funny and cute.
My grandma truly was one of my idols. She taught me how to sew, among so many other things. She was amazing! I only hope I can somehow live to be half the woman she was! I love you grams!

0 comments: